Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook


Pet Travel Blog

Pet Passport
Have a question or concern? Reach out to others who have taken your journey with their pet for advice. Just gone to a fabulous place with your pet? Let us all know about it.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put the pet into quarantine, return the pet to the country of origin, or destroy the pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Home > Pet Passports > Japan

Pet Passport Japan

Dog Passport Japan

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Japan

Pets over 90 days of age entering Japan from the rabies free countries of: Iceland, Australia, New Zealand Fiji, Hawaii and Guam provided they have resided in those countries for at least 180 days:

This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Japan from rabies free countries listed above.

On arrival, dogs and cats must undergo import quarantine for a set period to screen out rabies (and in the case of dogs, rabies and leptospirosis), depending on conditions. Furthermore, in order to check whether they have contracted the diseases in isolation from other animals or humans, the animals are held in the quarantine facilities of the Animal Quarantine Service (AQS). Please bear in mind that even when a long quarantine period is necessary, quarantine cannot be allowed at any place other than the premises of AQS.

Pets over 90 days old entering Japan from any country other than those listed above, the following requirements must be followed in the order given:

Pets not meeting the above requirements shall be quarantined for 180 days after arrival in Japan.

This completes a passport for your dog or cat to enter Japan from non rabies free countries.

Dogs can only be imported at the following 17 seaports and airports:

Sea ports: Tomakomai Port, Keihin Port (Tokyo, Yokohama), Nagoya Port, Hanshin Port (Osaka, Kobe), Kanmon Port, Hakata Port, Kagoshima Port and Naha Port
Airports: Shin(New)-Chitose Airport, Narita International Airport, Tokyo International Airport (Haneda), Chubu International Airport, Kansai International Airport, Kitakyushu Airport, Fukuoka Airport, Kagoshima Airport and Naha Airport

Dog Passport Japan

Your dog or cat should fly a direct route to Japan if at all possible, otherwise, your pet's crate will need to be sealed.

Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Japan, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Japan. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Japan. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination. All animals other than dogs and cats will be subject to quarantine on arrival.

If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a turtle or parrot, you should verify that it is not protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITIES).  You will need to apply for additional permits if this is the case. Search their database. Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

Need a pet friendly hotel in Japan?

The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Japan. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.

GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.