Pet Passport Fiji
Pets must enter Fiji by air from one of the following countries:
Australia (except Northern Territory), New Zealand or Hawaii. If you
wish to take your pet to Fiji from another country, you must export
your pet to one of these countries, meet all of their requirements
and apply to export them to Fiji. Any quarantine served in entering
these countries will not affect the quarantine requirements in Fiji.
- A permit is required for the importation of cats, dogs and other live animals.
- Your pet must be microchipped with the ISO 11784/11785 pet microchip or Avid chip. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.
- Proof of rabies and other vaccinations at least 30 days but not more than one year prior to import.
- Blood Titer Test performed between 60 days and 12 months prior to entry to Fiji. (Have your veterinarian scan your pet's microchip prior to the titer test.)
- Just prior to departure, a licensed and accredited veterinarian will complete the Health Certificate for Fiji and submit to the USDA (if traveling from the United States) or the CFIA (if traveling from Canada) or the Governmental Authority for the departure country responsible for the import and export of animals for endorsement.
- A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included for endorsement.
- Ticks & Tapeworm Test must be performed twice within 6 months of entry with the second one done within 4 days of departure.
Fiji requires that, with all requirements met, your pet be held in quarantine for 7 days when entering from Australia and New Zealand and 30 days when entering from Hawaii. Home quarantine is not permitted. Quarantine officers are stationed at the international airports at Nadi and Nausori.
Pets are not permitted to enter Fiji from countries with high incidence of rabies. Pets must be 4 months old to enter.
Banned Breeds: The following breeds will not be permitted into Fiji: Dogo Argentino, Fila Braziliero, Japanese Tosa and all Pit Bull Terrier breeds. Serval and Savannah breeds or crosses of cats are also not permitted entry.
Birds and Other Animals: the import of birds into Fiji is not permittted. Other animals will require an import permit.
Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Fiji, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.
Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease
communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to
Fiji. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a
licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.
Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Fiji. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a
turtle or parrot, you should verify that
it is not protected under the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITIES). You will need to apply for additional permits
if this is the case. Search their database.
Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.
Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.
The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Fiji. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.